Image Map

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Mom's in the Hospital

I met up with a friend late this afternoon and we brought our kids out for Laternelauf. We also fed the ducks at the lake. When I got home, I noticed that my brother had called four times. He only calls when something is wrong. I hadn't taken off my coat when I reached for the phone to call him back.

The conversation started normal. He asked how the kids were doing and gave me an update on how he and his fiancée were doing. The worried feeling temporarily disappeared, but then he said that Mom had been in the hospital since Monday. She had a seizure at the doctor's office and was then brought to the hospital. The doctors had found a small spot in her brain. The tumour may have returned. As I write this, she is undergoing an MRI. My brother told me not to worry about.

Easier said than done. Things have been a little tough around here and now this. 

I had visited my family back in June. Mom looked good, but you could tell that the harsh winter (Polar Vortex) had robbed her of her soul. When I was there, she was cheerful - the way I have always known her - but had become the most complicated woman I have ever met. She looked a lot older, too.

Update: Well, I just got off the phone with my brother. The MRI that was scheduled today was cancelled due to another emergency. 

Shit. Another day of waiting for answers. Another day that my mom is only allowed to eat Jello (not that she minds). I miss her. A lot.



No comments:

Post a Comment